Monday, August 16, 2010

A couple weeks ago I was listening to a segment on The Today Show as we were completing our morning feeding that really stopped me in my tracks and made me think. The segment that many of you have probably heard of by now was that of The Wall Street Journal article, that spoke of being a target for extra jobs, duties and such because of simply being a SAHM. I can't say that I totally related to the article because my duties aren't always "favors" for others, it's expectations that I put on myself.
In the recent weeks I've really been fighting an internal battle...you see I'm not technically a SAHM, I do work about 16 hours a week still at the hospital at night since Abby was born. But it leaves me with a lot of free time or what you would think would be a lot but for weeks or probably closer to a month I'm left at the end of the day feeling that I didn't get what I needed done, Abby didn't get enough therapy at home, the list could go on and on. To the point, that it was really getting to me. So I did what any good type A personality would do... I got my "to-do list" in order and put it into action...
And it went a little like this...
Meal Planning~ I believe this has been the biggest most beneficial change, I make my list on Sunday for our meals for the week, this has saved me money, I'm not running into the store every couple of days and buying items that I already have at home. Saves time, I'm only at Publix once a week and the market once a week. And I've lost more weight planning and not eating on a whim. I know how long each meal will take to prepare, so I give myself plenty of time, even making some things ahead, so I'm not rushed...Can we all take a deep sigh of relief. I'm enjoying cooking again ( and my husband is loving it too).
Schedule~ Each night before I go to bed I put together a time line of how our next day will go, every day is different for us, with therapy, md appt.'s and special plans. The list has helped me to get the things done that need to get done and at the end of the day, I feel accomplished! I was driving 30 minutes away to go to the gym with some friends, instead of going to the gym 5 minutes from my house, that has changed I pick one class a week to met them. The other days I go near home, saving time in the car. Little changes have helped me feel free and I'm loving it!

I'm the type a person that hates to say "no" and I'm slowly learning quality over quantity, by spreading myself thin as left me feeling not so good but I'm hoping those days are behind me.


" Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can change your life forever"~ Keri Russell

3 comments:

  1. I think you should start sharing your meal plan;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work from home and people big time take advantage of that, knowing I hate saying no. People just expect me to give up days worth of time to do tasks because I "am just at home." I still work, just not in an office. And sure, I am flexible. But I cannot just take a week to devote to favors.

    I'm single and even I find meal planning to make a big difference. Both in my stress level and budget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should share your meal plan too :)

    ReplyDelete